- RULE ONE
- General duties of a student: pull everything out of your teacher; pull everything out of your fellow students.
- RULE TWO
- General duties of a teacher: pull everything out of your students.
- RULE THREE
- Consider everything an experiment.
- RULE FOUR
- Be self-disciplined: this means finding someone wise or smart and choosing to follow them. To be disciplined is to follow in a good way. To be self-disciplined is to follow in a better way.
- RULE FIVE
- Nothing is a mistake. There’s no win and no lose, there’s only make.
- RULE SIX
- Working hard is good. Working smart is better. Doing both is the path to excellence.
- RULE SEVEN
- Don’t try to create and analyze at the same time. They’re different processes.
- RULE EIGHT
- Be happy. Be curious. Be involved. Enjoy yourself. If you’re not those things, change your life until you are.
- Be on time for life. Come or go to everything. Always go to classes. Read anything you can get your hands on. Look at movies carefully, often. Save everything — it might come in handy later. Learn constantly, until your last breath.
Adapted from the art class rules of Sister Corita Kent. I’ve also made a PDF version to download, print and post. Typeset using French Canon Fell Type by Igino Marini in OpenType with CSS.
Enjoy this piece? I invite you to follow me at twitter.com/dudleystorey to learn more.